Chief Operating Officer
Karen Grant is a strong and vocal advocate of angel investing and early funders of all types. As one of the chief architects of Equation Angels, she is excited about stepping in and helping the organization realize its potential. Karen has practiced what she preaches and was instrumental in creation of four angel groups: Toronto Angel Group in 2001, Northern Ontario Angels in 2005, Angel One Investor Network in 2011 and Equation Angels in 2019. She is a board director of Northern Ontario Angels.
Karen is an entrepreneur, company director, and mentor. She has founded companies, launched investment funds and has worked in the commercialization field with FedNor, FedDev, Ontario Centres of Excellence and universities around Ontario. Earlier in her career she led and grew the Toronto Venture Group, a not-for-profit organization with the mandate to “bridge the gap between entrepreneurs and capital” working with most of the venture capital firms in Canada and hundreds of companies that were seeking capital. Karen’s corporate experience includes 12 years with IBM Canada where she had roles in sales, marketing and communications.
Karen is passionate about early stage companies and when she is not coaching, cajoling or congratulating founders, she enjoys the outdoors, some creative pursuits, cooking and entertaining. She and her husband of 30+ years still enjoy each other’s company and travel together as often as possible.
Boards and Affiliations
- Cinnos Mission Critical Incorporated (privately held corporation) Director and Chair May 2017 – Present
- Vida Fresh Air Corp. Director (privately held corporation) 2012 – Present
- Northern Ontario Angels NFP Board of Directors 2005 – Present
- Angel One Network Inc. NFP Board of Directors 2011 – May 2019
- National Angel Capital Organization (NACO) Not for Profit (NFP) Board of Directors 2016 – June 2020
- Northern Ontario Angels NFP Board Chair 2008 – 2017
- The RIC Centre (Mississauga) NFP Board of Directors February 2012 – 2016
- NSERC Idea to Innovation (I2I) External Reviewer 2014 – June 2016
- Wired Sun (privately held corporation) Board of Directors 2008 – 2010
- Ontario Centres of Excellence Investment Committee 2004 – 2007
- Access to Capital Advisory Committee for Minister of FedNor 2003 – 2006
- Canadian Technology Network – Ontario: Governance Committee 2003 – 2004
- City of Toronto Financial Services Committee 2002 – 2003
- Toronto Venture Group Board of Directors 1991 – 2004